‘Tis the season to gain a few pounds.
BREAK THE PATTERN.
Here are some recipe substitution ideas for healthy, delicious, zenful indulgences with less sugar, fat, and calories.
- Two egg whites instead of one whole egg
- Whole-wheat flour in place of half of the all-purpose flour
- One-third less sugar than the recipe calls for — retaining just enough sweetness to satisfy
- Low-fat plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream instead of traditional sour cream
- Low-fat frozen yogurt instead of ice cream
- Herb-only garlic powder, celery seed powder, and onion flakes in place of garlic salt, celery salt, or onion salt
- Equal parts half-and-half and fat-free evaporated milk instead of heavy cream
- Equal parts one-percent milk and fat-free evaporated milk instead of light cream
- Low-fat cheese instead of regular cheese
- Applesauce or prune puree in place of half of the recipe’s fat (butter, shortening, or oil) and sugar
- Pureed fruit instead of syrup
- Water or carbonated water instead of soda or alcohol.
Enjoy the season without expanding your waistline.
Live in Zen.